Sunday, December 6, 2015

DNA Extraction Lab

In this lab, we asked how we could extract DNA from cheek cells. We found that removing the cheek cells by scratching the inside of our mouths with Gatorade, which homogenized the cells, which means that the Gatorade and cheek cells formed a colloid, and then mixing the Gatorade with salt, soap, and enzymes in pineapple juice, which  lysed the solution, meaning that the cell membrane and nuclear membrane breaks down. We then put a layer of alcohol which caused the DNA to turn in a precipitate. This worked, because after the process, we were able to see small strings and chunks in the alcohol, which was the DNA, meaning that our process worked.
One error I made was not getting enough cheek cells. When swishing the Gatorade in my mouth, I mistimed how long I was supposed to have the Gatorade in my mouth, so I gathered fewer cheek cells than others. I could fix this error in the future by using a stopwatch. Another error I may have made was using too much Gatorade, so when we poured the Gatorade with the cheek cells into the test tube, I may have poured less cells and more Gatorade, resulting in less DNA. I could fix this error by more carefully measuring any liquids.

The purpose of this lab was to show how every cell in the body has DNA in it, even if they don't use all parts of the DNA. From what I learned in this lab, I could collect cells and use them for other purposes, or collect DNA of other organisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment